This page features publications and reports relevant to PHAB and national public health accreditation.
PHAB has compiled a new report on the impact of accreditation.
Special Supplement to the May/June 2018 edition of the Journal of Public Health Management & Practice highlights the impact of the Public Health Accreditation Board’s national accreditation program on public health. Thanks in part to funding provided by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the online edition of the special supplement is being offered with free access for two years on the Journal’s website.
Special Issue of the Journal of Public Health Management & Practice: Transforming public health practice through accreditation. January/February 2014, Volume 20, Issue 1
JPHMP Direct accreditation blog series: JPHMP Direct is the multimedia companion site of the Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. Check back each month to read new blog posts in this featured collection of articles on public health department accreditation.
This list contains articles about the impact of accreditation, the Standards and Measures, and the history of the accreditation program, among other topics.
If there are other accreditation-related studies that are either in progress or published, please let us know by contacting Jessica Kronstadt ([email protected]).
Below is a selection of recent articles about accreditation.
- Allen P, Mazzucca S, Parks RG, Robinson M, Tabak RG, Brownson R. Local health department accreditation is associated with organizational supports for evidence-based decision making. Front Public Health. 2019;7(374).
- Bommersbach T, Borger K, Steverman S, Manderscheid RW, Sarfstein J, Everett A. Behavioral health, local health department accreditation, and Public Health 3.0: leveraging opportunities for collaboration. Am J Public Health. 2018;108(10):1334-1340.
– See response: Kronstadt J, Bender K. Public Health Accreditation Board think tank on behavioral health standards. Am J Public Health.
- Feng W, Martin EG. Fighting obesity at the local level? an analysis of predictors of local health departments’ policy involvement. Prev Med. 2020;133.
- Gerding J, Bender K, Corso LM. Public health department accreditation and environmental public health: a decade of collaboration. J Environ Health. 2020;82(6):30-32.
- Gregg A, Bekmuratova S, Palm D, et al. Rurality, quality improvement maturity, and accreditation readiness: a comparison study of Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska local health departments. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2018;24(6):E15-E22.
- Melton JJ, Shirey LA, Barraza EM, Bullock SH. Public health accreditation of army preventive medicine departments: improving military medical treatment facility practice to impact force readiness [Published online November 21, 2018]. Mil Med. 2018.
- Singh SR, Bekemeier B, Leider JP. Local health departments’ spending on the foundational capabilities. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2020;26(1):52-56.
- Sreedhara M, Goins KV, Frisard C, Rosal MC, Lemon SC. Stepping up active transportation in community health improvement plans: findings from a national probability survey of local health departments [published online ahead of print July 30, 2019]. J Phys Act Health.
Special Issue of the Journal of Public Health Management & Practice: Impact of Public Health Accreditation. May/June 2018, Volume 24 – Supplement 3.
Special Issue of the Journal of Public Health Management & Practice: Public Health Workforce Interests and Needs Survey 2017. March/April 2019, Volume 5 – Supplement 2.
Reports written by or for PHAB:
- NORC at the University of Chicago. Evaluation of the Public Health Accreditation Board beta test. Published July 2011.
- NORC at the University of Chicago. Initial evaluation of the Public Health Accreditation Program: final report. Published December 2016. (NORC released a report with additional data in 2017.)
- Public Health Accreditation Board. QI leaders academy program report. Published 2016.
- Exploring Accreditation Project. Final recommendations for a voluntary national accreditation program for state & local public health departments: summary document. Published September 12, 2006.
- Exploring Accreditation Project. Final recommendations for a voluntary national accreditation program for state & local public health departments: full report. Published Winter 2006-2007.
- Thielen L. Exploring public health experience with standards and accreditation: a report for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Published October 2004.
- Mays G. Can accreditation work in public health? Lessons from other service industries: working paper for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Published November 30, 2004.
- Riley W, Nwoke S. Review and analysis of quality improvement (QI) techniques in police departments. Published February 7, 2007.
- Hamm C. Quality improvement initiatives in accreditation: private sector examples and key lessons for public health: prepared for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.